Peter Conway a cork lorry driver aged 57 years has decided to withdraw a £60,000 personal injury claim by admitting that he went further to work for his employer further after he had been banned from driving, this happened in Circuit civil court. Peter Conway admission at witness box appeared during comprehensive cross-examination by Shane English who represented Landbridge limited, cork which now has this registered at Dublin.
Conway dropped his damages claims just a few minutes after answering “yes” when he was asked by Mr. English if he had continued to drive for his former employer since he had been banned from doing so. Judge Codd Pauline suspended the personal injuries hearing after Conway disclosed that he failed to inform his former employer he had lost his license.
After short talks with his legal team, Conway decided to withdraw the case. Earlier, Mr. Conway had told the court that on 18th January 2013 that he travelled to Thurles, Company Tipperary where he had gone to make a delivery and that he had to utilize electric pallet truck to unloading reasons and during this process he injured his neck.
Mr English, who showed up with Mclntyre Kieran of McGrath Hayes lawyers for Landbridge, said that the defendant company had already been informed that Mr. Conway didn’t work from the day of the accident and had proceeded to make a claim for the loss of the earnings and that he withdrew on Monday during the start of the hearing.
Conway further made it clear that he helped his nephew to make deliveries though he wasn’t employed by Fastway. He added that he was getting the benefit but he was given authority to work for 19 hours in a week. Mr. English told Mr. Conway that he had accrued a benefit of £55,327 since he had now been registered as a disabled person and that he had shown the court how the injuries could have affected him for the rest of his life.
Conway said he was not in a position to remember the exact date when he started working with his nephew by delivering parcels for Fastway. His nephew usually made the payment through the cash, but his instincts tell him that it was around October 2016 and he did work once a week.
After the short adjournment, the judge was let to know that Mr. Conway and his accident solicitor had decided to withdraw his case on the foundation no order of the cost could have been sought against him.